Chili mac is a Midwestern staple and the ultimate comfort food. This recipe is the result of combining two of the best side dishes ever invented: chili and mac n' cheese. What's not to like?
You can use any version of chili that you'd like for this recipe. If you prefer a darker, spicier version, give the chili from my frito pie recipe a shot. Top it off with something with a bit of kick like pickled sweet corn or jalapeños.
- 1 lb. venison, ground
- 1½ cups yellow onion, small diced
- 2 cans chili beans: pinto and dark kidney
- 2 cups game stock
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 16 oz. can crushed tomato
- 10 oz. can Rotel tomato and diced chilis
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. dry Mexican oregano
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. ancho chili powder
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Six heaping cups large elbow macaroni, cooked
- 6 heaping cups venison chili
- 8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 8 oz. pepper jack cheese, cubed
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Pickled jalapeños
- Pickled sweet corn
- Sour cream
Also works with
- Heat up a large pot or Dutch oven on high with oil. Once hot, brown the meat. Next add the onion and spices and cook until the onion is translucent. Mix in the tomato paste, vinegar, and molasses. Cook for one minute. Add the stock, tomato, and beans. Check for seasoning. Bring the chili back to a simmer and cook uncovered for about an hour.
- While the chili is cooking, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and boil until they are just tender. Strain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut the cheese into large chunks and place in a small pot on low heat with milk. Stir until melted into a smooth sauce.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the drained noodles and venison chili. Pour the noodle mixture into the baking pan. Slowly drizzle the cheese sauce onto the chili noodles and lightly mix to create a swirl effect. Bake for 20 minutes or until hot throughout.
- Remove the chili mac from the oven and change the oven setting to broil. Sprinkle the shredded cheese and green onion over the top. Broil the chili mac for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned and crispy on top. Serve with the garnish options and enjoy.