The last week of August is Florida’s mini lobster season, when the state allows two days of recreational lobster diving before the commercial season opens up. Droves of people flock to the Keys to pluck their six lobsters per day from the clear water.
This recipe is the perfect inaugural dish after a day at sea. It’s quick, easy, and will satisfy a boatload of people wanting to relax and celebrate a successful harvest. Cooking all the elements on the grill imparts a delicious, smoky flavor that pairs well with the buttery, citrus taste of the grilled lobster.
Time to make
3 lobster tails, split in half down the middle
3 tbsp. butter
Salt and black pepper
Pico de Gallo
1 small white onion, minced
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 large bag of corn tortilla chips
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can black beans
1/2 cup guacamole
Also works with
Lobster, crab, crayfish, or any crustacean
Grill, baking dish
- Preheat your grill or smoker to high or 500 degrees. While waiting, place the lobster tails, meat side up, on your working surface. Smear 1/2 tablespoon of butter on the meat of each lobster tail half. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Zest the lime over the meat section of the tails. If you do not have a dedicated zester, then the fine-sized holes on a cheese grater will work.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro, salt, black pepper, and the juice from the lime. Mix well and set aside.
- Once the grill is heated, place the lobster tails on the grate, meat side up. Allow them to cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the lobster is white in color. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly. Once cool to the touch, remove the meat from the shell.
- Spread out the tortillas chips on an oven-safe dish or baking pan. Sprinkle cheese on top of the chips, add beans, and add more cheese. Place the pan on the grill for approximately 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the grill and add the guacamole, pico de gallo, and chunked lobster meat.