This Super Bowl Sunday, indulge family and friends with wild game for the big game. This appetizer uses the Sloppy Joe recipe I shared last week, spread on naan flatbreads with cheese and red onion. Think of this as a barbecue chicken pizza, but with ground venison instead of chicken.
- 1 lb. ground venison
- 2/3 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 large, pre-made Naan flatbreads
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Cilantro to serve
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
Also works with
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil shimmers, add the ground venison and brown.
- Remove the venison and set aside. Add another drizzle of oil if needed and sauté the diced red onion until brown and soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Deglaze the pan with water and vinegar. Incorporate the ketchup, sugar, and all the spices. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for a few minutes to thicken. Return the venison and stir. The mixture should be pretty saucy.
- Spread equal portions of the venison Sloppy Joe mixture across each flatbread. Cover with mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with sliced red onion.
- Transfer the flatbreads to the oven. For a crispy pizza, place them directly on the rack. For a softer dough, place onto a cookie sheet or pizza stone. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Slice and serve with fresh cilantro.