This Stuffed Heart recipe was featured in our Hearts of Darkness Cooking Special. Enjoy!
1 heart from any hooved animal
raisins (golden or purple, or both)
rye bread, torn into pieces or chopped in a food processor
stock (chicken, beef, vegetable, or game)
1. Trim the tallow off the heart.
2. Core the heart, leaving two separate chambers.
3. Soak the raisins in the brandy.
4. Make the stuffing:
A. Sauté the onions, garlic, carrot, and mushrooms over medium heat. Once these are softened, add the celery, walnut and herbs.
B. Combine the torn pieces of bread, apples, salt, pepper and brandy-soaked raisins in a bowl and add the cooked veggie mixture. Add stock to make the mixture a little wet. You’re looking for a packed snowball-like feel.
5. Pack the mixture into the heart cavities.
6. Brush the outside of the heart with olive oil.
7. Roast for approximately one and a half to two hours until the internal temperature is 145 degrees Fahrenheit.