This Pickled Heart recipe was featured in our Hearts of Darkness Cooking Special. Enjoy!
One boar heart
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon multicolored peppercorns (black will also work)
1/2 tsn red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon pickling spice
3 cloves garlic, peeled & sliced
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1. Trim the tallow off the heart.
2. Core the heart.
3. Slice the heart thin.
4. DO NOT put the boar heart into the brine raw — you must cook it first. Poach the heart in stock at a gentle simmer, not a rolling boil.
5. Build the brine: Add white wine vinegar, salt, sugar, rainbow peppercorns, pickling spice, and red pepper flakes to the jar. Shake it up to incorporate the ingredients.
6. Slice the garlic and onion.
7. Start adding the ingredients in layers to the jar — sliced garlic and onion, sliced (cooked) heart, and bay leaf, repeat.
8. Add the brine to the jar.
9. Store in the refrigerator. It takes about a week for the heart to pickle… but for long term storage, you need to pressure-seal it.