This Wild Game Merguez recipe was featured in The Best Start: Wild Game Breakfast Cooking Special. Enjoy!
3 parts cubed game meat off hooved game (Steve used moose)
1 part cubed pork back fat (or black bear back fat if you have it)
1 1/2 c roasted red peppers
2 tblsp kosher salt
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp fennel
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1/3 c red wine, chilled
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Toast fennel and coriander seeds and pulverize in a coffee grinder.
3. Set mixing bowl in a tub of ice to keep the fat from melting before it goes in the grinder.
4. Add cubed meat, fat, and roasted red peppers to the bowl. Mix.
5. Add seasonings to the bowl before you run it through the grinder. Mix.
6. Run the seasoned meat and fat through the course plate of your meat grinder. Mix. Then run it through the fine plate of your grinder.
7. Add 1/3 c of chilled red wine.
8. Stuff the sausage into the lamb casings and wrap it into a coil. Tie off the casing.
9. Lay in a lightly-oiled pan and bake in the oven until the internal temperature reads 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. Serve with poached eggs.