This Fried Heart recipe was featured in our Hearts of Darkness Cooking Special. Enjoy!
1 heart from any hooved animal
olive oil or butter
1. Trim the tallow off the heart.
2. Core the heart.
3. Slice the heart into 3/4 in slices.
4. Season flour with salt and black pepper.
5. Slice the onion.
6. Fry the sage leaves into sage chips: Dip sage leaves in seasoned flour (they have their own oils that will allow the flour to stick), pan fry.
7. Pour oil into a pan at medium to high heat.
8. Toss in the sliced onion in the pan to start browning them.
9. Dust the heart slices in the seasoned flour and pan fry them until the juice is still a little bloody, not clear (unless you prefer to cook them all the way through).
10. Serve, garnishing with the sage chips.