Note: This recipe is not exclusive to caribou and can be applied to any other ungulate
- •2 lbs-sized roast (Best cut is from back leg with no internal connective tissues.)
- •1 tablespoon kosher salt
- •2 tablespoon sugar
- •1/2 teaspoon Instacure #2 (Pink salt)
- •1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- •1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- •2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- •3 juniper berries, coarsely crushed
1) Remove all surface fat and silverskin.
2) Grind rub ingredients together using mortar and pestle.
3) Rub seasonings on roast.
4) Seal in a large zip lock bag.
5) Refrigerate for 10-15 days, flipping every few days.
6) Remove from zip lock bag and rinse the meat under cool water to remove the remaining spices. Pat dry.
7) Sprinkle the roast with a light coating of finely ground black pepper and paprika.
8) Seal in an UMAi Dry bag.
9) Dry cure for 1 month on an open rack in the fridge.
10) Slice extremely thin; best done on a deli slicer if possible.